Meet Lauren E. Grammer
Meet Lauren E. Grammer
My path to therapy, though seemingly winding, has also been very direct in regards to what I wanted to move towards all along. I began my journey to this career initially as an art teacher working in Atlanta, Georgia. In the midst of organizing 900 kids artwork, I often found myself enjoying work most when spending time and connecting with kids who needed extra support. During this time I had been researching more about art therapy and returned to Louisville to shadow the art therapist at Kosair Children’s Hospital. I had a strong feeling at this point that I was meant to pursue art therapy and counseling as a career change. I applied and was accepted to UofL’s Master’s program in Counseling and Art Therapy.
While in school I completed practicums on the Oncology Unit at Baptist Hospital as well as at Our Lady of Peace Hospital where I was then hired as a PRN therapist. After graduating I was hired with Seven Counties Services at the West office and did in-home, school-based, and out-patient work. I then moved into a primary therapist role at Uspiritus where I worked for five years with six to twelve years old boys who were in the state’s custody. During this time I met Eric Baker who consulted with Uspiritus as our supervisor for our Chemical and Alcohol Dependency Licensure. Eric encouraged me to apply at his practice and the rest is pretty much history. I am extremely happy to be a part of the team here at Avenues where this summer I will hit my third anniversary.
My philosophy is one that ultimately comes back to who we are at our core and getting back to that okay place as well as seeing others from this okay place. I believe in empowering clients to identify and embrace the changes they want in their lives. I approach therapy with the belief that providing an open supportive, and guiding environment will assist clients and families through their own journey to gain insight, become unstuck, and experience their feelings, thoughts, actions, and who they are in an okay and safe way in order to begin making the changes they desire.
- Advanced Clinical training in TA and Gestalt Therapy – Southeast Institute
- Masters of Ed – UL Counseling and Personnel Services, Specialization in Art Therapy
- Specialization in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Bachelors of Education – UGA (Teaching Certification in Art Education)
- Temporary Certification Alcohol and Drug Counselor, TCADC
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, LPCC
- Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attachment Disorders, Family and Interpersonal Issues
- Grief and Loss
I am well versed in the following therapeutic modalities:
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Transactional Analysis and Game Theory
- Redecision Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Relational / Humanistic psychotherapy