Meet Eric W. Baker, Jr.
Meet Eric W. Baker, Jr.
TAPI, LCADC, LCSW
I approach therapy with the belief that all people have dignity, value, and worth, that everyone has the capacity to think, and that people shape their own destiny based on their beliefs about themselves and others.
I enjoy working with individuals 12 years and older and am comfortable working with people from all walks of life. I do not believe that there is simply one therapeutic approach for everyone, and I pride myself in being able to identify the method that is the best fit for each individual client.
A graduate of the University of Kentucky’s Public Child Welfare Certification Program (PCWCP), my early career focused on child development and welfare. Fresh out of college, I worked as a child service worker in Fayette County, Kentucky, on a new team that focused on the reunification of families who had lost their children due to substance use. This team was part of the Family Drug Court program and was a major influence on my understanding of substance abuse disorders.
After two years in that role, I moved to Louisville to pursue my Masters in Social Work at the University of Louisville Kent School for Social Work. I graduated with honors and an additional specialization in Drug and Alcohol Counseling in 2010.
I then joined my father at Avenues Unlimited to learn his methods of treatment. I co-led groups with him and saw clients as I pursued my clinical licensure. I also enrolled in the South-East Institute for Group and Family Therapy’s advanced clinical supervision group, where I worked under Dr. Vann Joines from 2010 to 2016.
- Advanced Clinical training in TA and Gestalt Therapy – Southeast Institute
- Masters of Science in Social Work – UL Kent School for Social Work
- Specialization in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- Bachelors of Science in Social Work – UK
- Specialization in Child Development and Welfare
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor, CADC
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, LCSW
- Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Anxiety Disorders
- Attachment Disorders
I am well versed in the following therapeutic modalities:
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Transactional Analysis and Game Theory
- Redecision Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Relational / Humanistic psychotherapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)